So you’re thinking about submitting a travel award proposal? That’s awesome! Here’s a bit more information to keep in mind as you plan.
Each year, WPA-GO has $1000 devoted to travel awards. Because CWPA’s registration is historically between $300-350, the Travel Awards Committee focuses upon offering substantial support to three graduate scholars. Each travel grant award winner will receive approximately $333 with the idea that these funds cover their registration costs.
Historically, different award committees have chosen to emphasize varying commitments and ideals, but as WPA-GO has embraced ideals of social justice and diversity, we’ve moved away from prioritizing students who are presenting their research and decided to focus more upon creating a diverse and inclusive community. To that end, we want to particularly encourage first time attendees and students from less recognized programs to submit award proposals.
What you’ll need to do:
Fill out this google form (link coming soon): It’ll ask for some basic information like your name and institution, and will require you to upload a one-page letter of application.
The letter of application:
The award committee has worked to connect the award process to the values and goals of WPA-GO related to social justice, equity, and inclusion. To that end, we’re asking you to write a 1-page letter (single-spaced), much like a personal statement, where you address the following questions.
- How does your teaching or service reflect or forward WPA-GO’s commitment to equity, social justice, and inclusion?
- How do you envision your participation in CWPA enriching the lives of colleagues and students at your home institution as well as your own professional development?
- How does your research contribute to the field of WPA writ large?
Please note: The file must be a word document. Please do not include identifying information on the letter, i.e., do not include your address or name on the letter.
The Evaluation Process:
All letters are read anonymously by a group of readers. Readers will be evaluating the awards, focusing upon the following criteria:
- The description of teaching/service as committed to equity/access/inclusion/social justice
- The description of how their research/scholarship contributes to WPA work
- The potential impact attending CWPA will have on them or their work
2019 Timeline and Process information:
- Application due by April 1.
- Applications read and scored in April.
- Award winners contacted between May 1 and May 15.
Questions, Comments, Concerns?
Contact Travel Award Chair, Carolyne King at email@example.com.